Thursday, November 25, 2010

My recovered (re-covered) ottoman

I recently picked up an ottoman that someone had thrown out.  It was really quite old, the timber underneath was good quality, the ticking was the original stuff (and it was comfy) and when I pulled the fabric apart to copy the pattern I realised it had been completely hand sewn.  The fabric was lovely (I have saved some from the sides to make into something else one day) but the top was completely threadbare. 
I have utilised my growing collection of Australian themed tablecloths and teatowels to recover the ottoman, and I am quite proud of my efforts.
I have since had my mum and sister out scouring the op shops for more Australiana goods to make some matching cushions for my lounge room ... one day ...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne:
    I heard about your blog from someone at Mothers' Group this morning!

    Your ottoman looks great - how did you know how to make the pattern? I have a chair (rescued from Booroondara's hard garbage - shame mixed with winks!) that needs total restoration. The wood needs to be sanded back (like your chair) and it needs new springs, etc. The chair cover is vinyl, so I'm not sure I'll be able to use it to make a pattern...
    Cheers,
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Leanne!! this is so great. I really love how you give something old another life - and a quite trendy one at that. Love the idea of your blog and will definately have a go at the skirt you have posted.
    well done! xx Kalimna

    ReplyDelete