Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Girls wrap-around skirt pattern

I am always on the look out for old sheets that could be used to create something lovely.  Last summer I made simple gathered skirts for my girls and their friends from some of the old sheets I had found.  I was pleased to then discover the free lazy days skirt pattern by  oliver and s which was so similar to the pattern I made up.  This year I have been looking for a new skirt pattern, but haven't had much luck.  So last week I made up my own pattern again.  This new skirt is a wrap around skirt, with a full cross-over panel at the front.  It has a tie at the top, which is threaded through a button hole.  The skirt is super easy to make.

How to make the skirt 
  • Cut out 3 matching panels based on the pattern in the photo.
  • Sew panel 1 to panel 2 and then panel 2 to panel 3.  DO NOT sew panel 3 to panel 1!. Hem the skirt along the bottom and then on each of the two raw sides (but not the top). 
  • Cut out a tie for the top of the skirt.  It should be 12cm wide and at least 1.5 metres long.
  • Iron the band in half along its 1.5m length so that it is 6cm wide, then open it up and fold it again along each long side so that the raw edges touch the newly made iron line down the centre.  Iron along these lines (again it will be 6cm wide). 
  • Fold the tie back along the centre iron line, and you will have a 3cm wide band that is 1.5m long and with all the messy bits hidden inside.
  • Tuck in the ends of the tie and pin.
  • Starting in the centre of the skirt and the centre of the tie, pin the top of the skirt 1cm inside the 3cm band so that the raw edge is hidden.
  • Leave an even length of tie at each end. 
  • Start at one end of the tie and sew it together 0.5cm from the edge, sewing the skirt to the tie at the same time.
  • Make a button hole in the skirt tie - line the button hole up with one of the side seams of the skirt.
  • Cut the button hole.
  • Your skirt is done!
The pattern I have given fits my four year old (size 4).  I have made it for my 6 year old by adding 1cm each side and 2cm at the bottom.  Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment