Friday, November 26, 2010

Home spun wool

A couple of months ago I picked up a second hand spinning wheel.  In the process of repairing it I discovered a great wool shop called Wondoflex.  I was partiuclarly inspired by the beautiful patterns for fun babies cardigans and jumpers that they offered (they had lots of them knitted up so you could see how gorgeous the final product would be).

I also discovered the intriguing Handweavers and Spinners Guild of Victoria that was worth a visit just to meet ladies who had spent a lifetime immersed in these beautiful crafts and were so willing to share their knowledge.

As we had a spinning wheel when I was younger, I got back into the swing of spinning pretty quickly, and whilst full of admiration for the fine work at the Guild, I was more inspired by my purchases last Christmas from 'Angie's Seaside Spinning and Millinery' down on the Great Ocean Road, which involved chunky spinning mixing raw wool with store bought yarn. 

As  my younger sister lives on a sheep farm, luckily I had ready access to some wool. 


Now summer is upon us I have temporarily lost my enthusiasm for spinning, but in the throes of the new project I produced a number of items including hats, scarves and a cardigan for my nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment