Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pin cushions and leather purses for the Mothers Day Stall

Over the last month I have been so busy doing that I have had trouble documenting.  Mainly I have been thinking about mothers day.  This year I am helping out with the school Mothers Day Stall and have been busy trying to come up with things that kids would like to buy for mums that mums might appreciate.  Inexpensive to make, handy and/or use-up-able (and thus disposable) are my priorities when choosing projects.  To get some inspiration I did a trip to Reverse Art in Ringwood and filled up a bag with all sorts of goodies including brown glass bottles, quilt wadding, timber offcuts, cardboard, leather offcuts, elastic and other bibs and bobs. 

The first project I undertook was to make some pin cushions.  This involved sewing together two circles of fabric and stuffing them with some tubular foam shapes from Reverse Art.  I then sewed all the way around the outside and in doing so sewed up with stuffing hole. 

They look quite cute, and I would be happy to receive one for mothers day, which I think is my fundamental criteria.

My next project was making some leather purses from the brown leather offcuts that I got at Reverse Art.  I cut out a basic rectangle and rounded the corners on the top edge.  I sewed along the bottom edge.  I then folded the bottom edge a bit more than 1/3 of the way up the leather to create the purse.  I started on one folded corner at the bottom and sewed all the way along the sides and top to the other folded corner at the bottom.  Then I just put on the embellishments (different sized circles made of olive leather and floral silk ) which helped to hide the velcro that I sewed on to keep the purse closed.  I like these little purses.  I did make some last year in vinyl, but I think they look a little classier (although admittedly still rustic) in leather.



No comments:

Post a Comment